Subject: [lojban] Re: PLEASE HELP NOW! NO LOJBAN SKILL NEEDED! rafsi conversion

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:52:57 -0800

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:28:58PM -0500, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> At 05:43 PM 10/28/02 -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> >I really, *REALLY* don't want to do the rafsi conversion too. I'm
> >working hard enough on the rest of it as it is.
> >
> >The file I need converted is
> >http://www.lojban.org/twiki/pub/Files/Documents/colossal_cave.txt
> >
> >It use the pre-1993 rafsi.
> 
> Note that this conversion should be quite trivial. The noralujv.txt
> file in the dictionary working files should have all of these lujvo
> both in old and new form. 

I believe you mean
http://www.lojban.org/files/draft-dictionary/Working/luj1999.ZIP

> Look up the word in the leftmost column with a text search and
> something out to the right should say what it should be in the current
> language. Only occasionally will a remade word be missing, if it
> seemed like the word might mean something without remaking.

>>From the file:

Brackets with no plus indicate that this word may have used old rafsi
(pre-1994) and had a different form after 1994 changes and baselining.
Because this was not certain in most cases, I left the old form in the
file with the non-plus bracket to indicate that the total frequency was
being applied to another word form. That other word form, the
post-changed-rafsi form, is listed with whatever actual frequency that
it was used, plus the bracketed amount from the previous usage form
(these remade words therefore have brackets WITH a plus). Of course,
when rafsi were switched, and both forms of the word saw use, it is
impossible to tell which usages hjad which meaning without going back to
the original text and manually checking. The frequency counts are not
important enough for that.

So it's hardly a certainty, but it may do for a first pass.

I'd really rather someone else did the actual work, though.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ http://www.lojban.org/
la lojban. jai curmi roda .einai to ku'i so'ada mukti le nu co'a
darlu le'o -- RLP I'm a *male* Robin.