Subject: [lojban] Re: Non-logical (incidental) "if"?

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 23:11:13 -0000

Randall Nortman:
> How would this be translated into Lojban:
> 
> I'm going to the store if you want to come along 

Good question...

> On a distantly related note, how would "in case" be translated, e.g.,
> "I'll bring a blanket in case it gets cold." I say this is related,
> because many people might say the first sentence as "I'm going to the
> store in case you want to come along," which is not strictly what they
> mean to say. They mean "I'm going to the store, and I'm telling you
> this in case you'd like to come along."

You have pretty much answered your own question, because "I'm going to 
the store, and I'm telling you this in case you'd like to come along."
is almost exactly how this should be rendered in Lojban. 

Not with explicit "I'm telling you this", though. Instead:

mi klama le zarci i di'u is in case you'd like to come along.

As for "in case": "di'u is (purposed) for the class of potential 
events of you wanting to come along". 

Maybe:

mi klama le zarci i di'u srana lo'i nu do klama djica

or

mi klama le zarci i ra'a di'u do klama djica

--And.