Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: What the heck is this crap?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:52:04 EST

In a message dated 11/5/2002 6:43:37 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:
<<
> This isn't a nit-pick, this is a fundamental semantic change from the
> nature of the language xod and I have been speaking.
>>
<<
Because these are fundamental changes to the semantics of the language
as used by people who actually converse in it.
Sort of the opposite of M. Jourdain: you have discovered that you were NOT 
speaking Lojban all along. It is, alas, a common experience and one there 
will be more of as more people go off trying to learn Lojban in its fullness. 
But still, that virtually every sumti contains at least one quantifier and 
that the order of quantifiers is significant for meaning seems to me too 
obvious and oft talked about -- both in CLL and on the various lists -- be be 
something reasonably missed. Where did things go wrong in the teaching 
process -- and in the learning? What did you think happened with sumti and 
quantifiers before you were brought to the current realization? Hopefully, 
this is all corrigible in your usage (I'm afraid that it is too late to do 
much about the system of Lojban -- though many try and some seem to succeed 
from time to time).