Subject: Re: Wiki phonetic examples

From: "A.W.T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:53:20 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Nick Nicholas <opoudjis@o...> wrote:

and Aulun, I still need the 
> u-umlauts on the Chinese.

>Note also that I disagree with .aulun. about the "fat choy / fa cai" -- I =

think it should be 767C.8CA1 instead of 9AEE.93DC ("produce - 
wealth", part of gung hai fat choy / gong xi fa cai, rather than "hair - 
vegetable"). But maybe he was thinking of a different Chinese phrase 
than I was. Oh, and there are no ü in the text. 

Nick, Fat-choy (fa cai) is a Cantonese dish lit. meaning 'hair cabbage' 
because of its structure resembling black hair. It's kind of moss digged 
out mainly in Inner Mongolia having no special good taste but being 
rather expensive: Chinese people are fond of it for its 'prosperous' 
sounding name (they have the dish served e.g. on the festival of 
Chinese New Year. Only now, it is forbidden to dig it out for the 
negative influences under environmental aspects (soil getting blown 
away by the winds).

I still do not understand why you're looking for umlaut-ü since there is 
none in the samples for the simple reason that this is not needed for 
lojban phonology. (Hadn't Putonghua the vowel u to give the lojban 
vowel, i would have taken the Chinese u-umlaut instead to represent it.

.aulun.