Subject: [lojban] Re: IRC logs and text archives - volunteers wanted

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:46:29 -0800

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:05:58AM -0500, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> At 10:43 PM 11/13/02 -0600, Jordan wrote:
> >I have essentially noninterrupted logs (10 megs of em) since Sun
> >May 12 08:40:20 2002, when I first joined.
> 
> That's a lot! I wonder if Robin has room for that much (and more if
> it keeps accumulating at that rate).

<chortle>

/dev/hda7 26209780 11778400 13099996 48% /home

That's in kilobytes. IOW, I currently have over 13 *gig* free. That's
in only one drive.

> What percentage of it would you say is IN Lojban, as opposed to being
> discussion in English (or other languages) ABOUT Lojban

Umm, I'd say ~5-10% is non-trivial lojban. A bit less since I started
working on nuntalyli'u, because I was two burnt out to speak in lojban
and I'm one of the major instigators.

> >However, I wonder what the interest in such text could be?
> 
> When we say "let usage decide", "usage" is NOT limited to major
> translation efforts. If we look at the text archives of stuff on the
> list, and translations, it is heavily dominated by a couple of
> Lojbanists (Nick and Goran in the early days, Jorge and xod more
> recently). Robin P. has pointed out that there are people active on
> IRC that are not active on the list and in other forums, and this
> suggests that we would have a much broader spectrum of usage, from
> more members of the community, than we can get from the existing text
> archives.

I agree.

> >It's all 'conversation quality',
> 
> Conversation is a rather important form of language usage, is it not?
> The question is not whether its quality is "conversational" but
> whether it represents "skilled usage", and that obviously has to be
> evaluated by looking at the whole text of the person who wrote it, as
> well as the audience of who he was writing to, rather than a single
> snippet of conversation out of context.

I'd say that it's skilled usage if it communicates meaning. 8)

> >Anyway I'm happy to provide them if someone wants them.
> 
> We definitely will want them - heck, *I* want them for the LLG
> archive, but I think an on-line archive is at least as important as my
> having files here on my computer constituting the "official archive".

I would like them, but this leads to another point:

I'd really like to have a constant running log of IRC, for all the
reasons lojbab points out. I'd like to have it running from multiple
'net locations for failure avoidance.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about IRC!

Could someone *please* recommend a simple log bot to me?

Thanks.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ http://www.lojban.org/
la lojban. jai curmi roda .einai to ku'i so'ada mukti le nu co'a
darlu le'o -- RLP I'm a *male* Robin.