Subject: [lojban] Re: Let's be friends

From: robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:09:55 +0200

Martin Norbäck wrote:
> tis 2002-11-19 klockan 10.52 skrev Robin Turner:
> 
>>snuge'i = snura + gleki = "safe kind of happiness" - my attempt at an 
>>approximation of "glad" in the context of "I'm glad I don't use Windows" 
>> (because I've just received a Windows virus).
> 
> 
> coi rodo
> 
> I'm new to this list, and haven't posted anything, but some of you may
> have seen me in the IRC channel as norpan.
> 
> Anyway, I'm just wondering about this snuge'i lujvo. Why did you find it
> neccessary to create a lujvo? Why not just use snura gleki?

I didn't find it necessary, but I thought it would be fun. There's also 
the factor that I was trying to find a Lojban word for a single English 
word, so that might have pushed me towards a lujvo.
> 
> What are peoples opinions on creating lujvo? I would say that when a
> tanru is sufficient, it makes no sense creating a lujvo, since the place
> structure is up to debate, and you need to know rafsi to decode it.

I think when ease of reading is paramount, tanru are better than novel 
lujvo. However, when people are playing around with the language, it's 
good to coin lujvo, since that is one way the vocabulary of Lojban can 
be expanded. Most lujvo will be used by only one writer, maybe only 
once, but some catch on.

I rather like the practice of using the combining form for the first 
element and the full gismu for the second, so that people who have a 
grasp of the gismu list but can't be bothered to learn the combining 
forms can at least get an idea of what the word is about. For example, 
many years back I coined "kurmikce" for "nurse". I could have used 
"kurmi'e", but apart from the fact that I like the sound of "kurmikce", 
it's easier to guess.

robin.tr

-- 
"You almost never hear that word "computer" anymore, do you?
They're part of everything now. They used to be boxes with
keyboards, you know." - Tad Williams

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara
Turkey

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin