Subject: [lojban] Re: Newbie says hi

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:34:33 -0500 (EST)

Theodore Reed scripsit:

> > How does lojban handle names with more than one part (for example
> > birth and family name)? Using hyphens seem unlojbanic to me but making
> > a pause is AFAIK not allowed within a name.
> 
> I would use a , myself. as in "mi'e SIodor,rid.", but pauses may
> actually be allowed in cmene. I'm not entirely sure. I swear I've seen
> them being used, though.

Comma between two identical consonants would be very hard to distinguish
from a single consonant.

But in fact the matter is academic, because wherever one cmene is allowed
by the grammar, so is more than one: la djeimyz. kuk. braun. is valid.

> I don't think you can use se'inai like that. It's (afaik) supposed to
> indicate that you are oriented toward something which is not yourself,
> perhaps to indicate charity or something along those lines. (Which is 
> a silly idea to me, I admit, but I suppose that someone might actually
> be capable of charity with absolutely no self-serving intent.)

It's not about "absolutely no self-serving intent". It's about the
difference between "I want it" and "I want you to have it", e.g.

-- 
Even a refrigerator can conform to the XML John Cowan
Infoset, as long as it has a door sticker [email-masked]
saying "No information items inside". http://www.reutershealth.com
--Eve Maler http://www.ccil.org/~cowan