Subject: [lojban] Re: mi nanca li (was: Re: Newbie says hi

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:13:21 -0000

Robin:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:17:47PM -0000, And Rosta wrote:
> > I generally don't understand what "by standard" places mean, but I
> > find it hard to construe a "by standard" place as defining the
> > event expressed by the x1. 
> 
> "I am of time-length 18 years by the standard of that is how long I have
> been alive" 
> 
> Seems OK, if stilted, to me 

I prefer xorxes's and pier's story, which is that the standard tells
you how the units are defined.

I can also accept that it could be used for things like
"I'm 6 foot tall *in my stockingfeet*"
"I'm 15 1/2 stone *with my kit off*"
-- i.e. defining which alternative way of measuring the same thing
is used.
In measuring the duration of a person, we might say "She lived for
70 years *reckoning from birth (as opposed to conception)*".

But for reasons stated in earlier messages, I can't construct a
rationale for the usage you propose. It seems one could equally
well say "18 years (x2) is the duration of how long I have been 
alive (x1)"; that is, your x3 does no more than redundantly corefer 
to x1.

--And.