Subject: Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:47:42 -0500

My apologies to people who get this more than once because they are on more 
than one list. If anyone knows of a Lojbanist who is not on any of these 
mailing lists (e.g. on IRC), please relay the information to them.

The LLG Board, after a couple of months of debate mat yesterday and 
approved the statement of baseline policy and plans that follows (it is 
also posted on the lojban.org website at 
http://www.lojban.org/llg/baseline.html).

As indicated in the statement, we are seeking ratification of the Lojban 
community and not merely official voting members. The poll on yahoogroups 
lojban-list is set up as indicated. Those who prefer can reply to the poll 
question:
>Do you support the new Lojban baseline policy statement posted to the list 
>and found at http://www.lojban.org/llg/baseline.html?
via email to [email-masked]

I encourage everyone in the community, beginner or long-time Lojbanist, to 
vote (only once, please %^)

Bob LeChevalier
President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW STATEMENT OF OFFICIAL LLG POLICY

Because of questions that arose on Lojban List and in other discussions
regarding the nature and status of the Lojban baseline, the LLG Board of
Directors has examined the topic in light of what has been said in the
past. We discovered to our chagrin that prior statements, and indeed the
official baseline announcement, were to some extent contradictory. Rather
than trying to sort out what we meant in prior statements, it has been
decided to issue a new statement of LLG policy on the baseline and freeze
to supplant all prior statements, and to specifically answer questions that
have been raised.

Furthermore, because progress on the dictionary and other critical
endeavors has been stalled for too long, the Board of Directors proposes to
implement a new plan to complete documentation of the baseline language
design as defined by the above policy.

This policy and plan are hereby submitted to the community (not merely the
voting membership of LLG), seeking its mandate of support. Those members
of the community who are subscribers to the yahoogroups edition of Lojban
List will have the option to vote using the Yahoo poll system; those
members of the community who are subscribers to the lojban.org mirror of
Lojban List, and those on the Lojban Beginners List who are not also on
Lojban List, are asked to vote by email submission to [email-masked]

This statement specifically supplants the official statement on the
baseline which may be found at
http://balance.wiw.org/~jkominek/lojban/9703/msg00012.html
and approved motions regarding the baseline in the 1996 and 1997 annual
meetings, and well as impromptu comments by Bob LeChevalier over the years.

ANNOUNCEMENT
by Robert LeChevalier
President of The Logical Language Group, Inc.
on behalf of the Board of Directors

It has now been 5 years since the publication of The Complete Lojban
Language, by John Cowan and the accompanying baseline of the Lojban grammar.

When that baseline was declared, it was expected that a collection of word
lists would be published shortly thereafter in lieu of a dictionary, that
upon that publication, the documented lexicon would be baselined, and the
combination of lexicon and reference grammar would be frozen for a minimum
of 5 years while language usage grew. That collection of word lists has
not yet been published; our statement, that the language design was
"complete", was therefore premature.

The Board of Directors intends to remedy this situation and reach a
definite ending point for the "design" phase of the language as soon as
possible, with the goal of having the LLG membership declare the language
baseline to be complete at the annual meeting of the LLG in the summer of 2003.

Upon that completion, the language design (baseline) will be frozen,
excepting only for the addition of new lujvo, fu'ivla, and cmene, the
experimental use of cmavo within the experimental space, and rafsi fu'ivla
and compounds in accordance with the description in the reference grammar.

The actual baseline and freeze initially will be on the English language
text. Translations of baseline materials to other languages as well as
enhanced English definitions may be added to the baseline at a later date
having been reviewed for consistency; translations need not be literal
translations of the English. Translation of the baseline documents is
encouraged, whether or not the translation is intended to be reviewed for
formal incorporation into the baseline. See the policy below on LLG
support for baseline compliance.

During the baseline freeze, LLG will not consider any change proposals to
the language, and will encourage anyone seeking to have a proposal
considered after the freeze ends, to formally write their proposal up in
Lojban. Any such proposals will be collected in a controlled "wiki" format
and accessible on the lojban.org website, but will not be formally
considered. If errors in the baseline documents are detected during the
baseline period, they shall be similarly documented in Lojban, and may be
formally considered by the appropriate language standard group of the time
(which by default will be the rump form of the commission established below).

The language design freeze will last for a minimum 5 years after its
initial declaration, and may be extended on a year by year basis until such
time as discussion of language problems, and potential changes to fix those
problems, is substantially discussed in Lojban by skilled users of the
language. When that situation is deemed to occur, the question of
maintaining the baseline, or terminating the freeze in the language
prescription will be turned over to the Lojban-using community.

COMPLETION OF THE DESIGN PHASE

The specific requirement to complete the design phase will be the
preparation for publication of a baseline version of the following: gismu
list with rafsi, cmavo list, a limited number of lujvo (100-500) with place
structures to serve as examples, and if time permits, a sampling of
reviewed and defined fu'ivla borrowings and cmene names, also to serve as
examples.

With a rising tide of usage, accompanied by substantive debates about the
logic and semantics of the language, we have learned a lot in the last 5
years. The baseline being assumed, most of these debates have been
resolved as semantic enrichment of the documented grammar and word
lists. But some inconsistencies were noted; some errors were recognized in
the published texts; and some questions arose that were not answered in the
word lists, where those answers are fundamental to the meanings of
words. The new policy endeavors to provide official resolution to these
questions, and to correct noted errors.

Because 5 years have passed, and there has been some usage of the language,
it is appropriate to consider usage and the issues that have arisen, in a
strictly controlled and very conservative review of the design, as part of
the big push to get the last of the documented pieces in place. If this
review results in consensus agreement that certain changes are appropriate,
to be consistent both with actual usage and the engineering goals of the
language, they will be incorporated as part of the discontinuity between
the existing provisional baselines and the actual design baseline covering
the full language.

THE LANGUAGE DESIGN COMMISSION

The Board of Directors intends to commission a review of submitted issues
to be considered as part of the process of preparing the final
baseline. This commission will complete the following tasks:

A. The primary task of the language design commission (banpla fuzykamni)
will be to complete brief definitions of the cmavo. The target date for
this effort shall be 15 May 2003, in order for consideration by the members
at the annual meeting of 2003; if that target date cannot be met, then the
member ratification of the final baseline declaration will be delayed until
the following year. It is intended that this effort shall take priority
over work on other tasks charged to the byfy.

B. The secondary task of the byfy will be to define, with place structures,
between 100 and 500 lujvo including those most frequently used in actual
text. Some portion of these lujvo should be words fitting the patterns of
the jvojva as described in The Complete Lojban Language, and some should be
explicitly chosen as examples of naturalistic or metaphoric lujvo that
cannot be predicted based on jvojva. The format for place structure
definitions will use conventions in the manner of the jvojva examples in
The Complete Lojban Language.

C. The tertiary task of the byfy will be to define with place structures a
small number of example fu'ivla from multiple fields, and to prepare a
small list of validated Lojbanized cmene from a variety of source languages.

D. The final task of the byfy will be to consider other proposals for
justified changes to the various baseline documents based on the following
principles:

1. Because all portions of the language (except for the lujvo, fu'ivla and
cmene lists) have been under a preliminary baseline, the status quo is
presumed by default.

2. In the event of inconsistencies, the published printed text of The
Complete Lojban Language, will take precedence by default.

3. The published gismu and cmavo lists will be presumed as valid, by
default. The byfy can choose at its discretion whether to abide by the
intent of earlier language designers or by the strict wording used, and can
add clarification or modify the wording based on its decisions.

4. The byfy will have the power to correct typographical errors, to resolve
contradictions and inconsistencies (including any that are internal to the
reference grammar), and to expand upon the text of word definitions in
order to clarify meaning.

5. If usage has established a pattern clearly inconsistent with the
existing documents, but consistent with the design goals for the language,
the byfy reviewers will have the power to approve changes to the baseline to
reflect that usage. A critical goal is to preserve the fundamental design
goal that Lojban words have a unitary and self-consistent meaning. Thus,
if multiple meanings for a word have emerged in actual Lojban text, the
byfy shall select one meaning, justifying any change from the
default. Usage based on alternate meanings shall not be acknowledged in
the baseline documentation, and are formally discouraged by LLG. Usage
patterns cannot be established on the basis of only one or two individuals,
however prolific; they must represent the practice of a plurality of
competent Lojbanists.

6. If formal logical analysis is inconsistent with either usage or the
documented status quo, the byfy may consider adding a brief note to this
effect.

7. Changes will be documented, including the text of the change, the nature
of the change as typo or other correction, expansion of definition,
conflict resolution, elimination of inconsistency, or reflection of usage,
and the rationale justifying the change (including examples of usage). A
collection of multiple related changes (such as typographical corrections),
provided that all are accepted by consensus, may be combined in one change
record.

8. Reflecting the desire of the community for language stability, the byfy
will prefer a position as close as possible to the status quo in case of
uncertainty.

9. Changes must be approved by consensus, with specific procedures to
determine consensus decided by the byfy subject to Board of Directors
review. In general, a single objector shall not be presumed to deny
consensus. If the byfy cannot reach a consensus, and the status quo is
unacceptable, the Board will make a decision among alternatives presented
by the byfy after consulting with the community, or may choose to delegate
the decision to another body.

10. Any decision of the byfy which would affect the text of the reference
grammar (including the formal grammar and EBNF in the appendices), shall be
documented as an erratum to that document. When the final baseline is
declared, a complete set of approved errata will be published by LLG, and
insofar as it is possible, LLG will consider producing a set of PDF-form
pages which could be inserted in a copy of the existing book.

If the byfy does not complete its work by the 2003 LLG members meeting,
then the Chair will, as part of that meeting, report on the progress of the
effort and present a revised schedule for completion which will be subject
to ratification by the members.

The Board of Directors appoints Nick Nicholas as Chair of the commission,
to report regularly on the progress of the commission to the Board and LLG
membership, and to have other executive powers as agreed to by the
commission members by consensus.

The Commission will be established by special mailing list at
lojban.org. The Board invites all Lojbanists who believe that they have
demonstrated some skill in using the language to voluntarily participate in
the commission activities. Participation will require being responsive to
requests by the Chair, and being willing to actively seek consensus; level
of participation will be determined by the individuals. If this open
membership becomes unwieldy, or factions develop that are preventing
progress, the Chair will seek a modification of this open membership policy
from the Board, but our stated preference is to be as inclusive as possible
of all Lojbanists who are willing to help in the critical effort of cmavo
list documentation.

Nick Nicholas has some specific intentions to automate the efforts of the
byfy as much as possible, which he will communicate to the community and/or
the byfy members at his discretion. The LLG Board calls on members of the
community with appropriate software and web experience to support his plans
with the highest priority, so as to get the effort off to a rapid
start. He has agreed that if the automation he desires is not in place by
a date specific (within 3 months) that he will communicate, that the
documentation effort will proceed manually, or with whatever limited tools
are available at that point.

The Board of Directors calls upon the webmaster of lojban.org to provide
software, mailing list, and web support for the byfy and its activities, as
requested by the Chair, and to coordinate volunteers who are providing
software and web design. The byfy shall be an official committee of LLG,
as documented on the appropriate web page.

BASELINE COMPLIANCE

Because the Lojban community that has emerged comes from a variety of
language backgrounds, and because different members of the community have
their own goals and priorities for use of the language, LLG must establish
a baseline compliance policy that respects the rights of individuals using
the language, one which is not too heavily tied to the necessary reliance
on English in the original language documentation.

LLG formally reiterates that the Lojban language design is in the public
domain, and any person has the right to use the language in any way he
wishes, towards any goals. On the other hand, LLG must strongly encourage
people to adhere to the baseline as defined, in the interest of unity of
the language community.

Following the formal declaration of the baseline, the LLG Board will assign
a committee, probably a rump form of the byfy, with the task of supporting
baseline compliance. Any person or group who creates a text in Lojban, or
who writes or translates language description materials or language
teaching materials in any language, may submit that effort to the committee
for review; the committee may also choose to review an effort on its own
without formal submission.

In the long term, this committee should become an independent entity not
under the jurisdiction of the LLG Board or membership, although the Board
or members might retain the right of consent to proposed members of this
committee. The implementation of this independence should await the
capability of fluent language communication on all matters regarding the
language, since discussion in Lojban should be a fundamental principle for
the operation of such an independent standard entity.

The purpose of this review will be to assign one of the following levels of
declared compliance with the baseline:

I. Baseline-Standard
This standard will be reserved for texts and materials that have
been certified to be compliant with the existing baseline by multiple
people recognized to be skilled in the language, and then approved by the
LLG Board or its delegated committee to be officially incorporated in the
baseline standard.
An example might be an official dictionary prepared from the
baseline word lists, or translations of baseline materials into languages
for which we have several fluent speakers among the skilled Lojban community.
All materials that are part of the baseline standard will be set
aside on the official web site in a manner clearly distinguishable from
other materials.

II. Baseline-Compliant
This standard will be for texts and materials that have been
certified to be compliant with the existing baseline, but which cannot be
declared standard either because
a. the material is in a language such that there are insufficient
reviewers who competent in both Lojban and the target language to certify
the highest level of compliance;
b. the text, while thoroughly reviewed, is of a nature not
appropriate to serve as a language standard;
c. the text, while thoroughly reviewed, includes material
extraneous to the baseline (such as experimental cmavo or speculative
usages) that the committee does not wish to become a standard for the
language by assigning the highest level of approval.
An example of the first sort would be translations of the gismu
list or other documents into a language for which we cannot get multiple
fluent speakers skilled in Lojban to review it, but at least one skilled
Lojbanist reviewed it beside the original author/translator.
An example of the second sort would be a significant translation
or writing piece in Lojban, which has been certified as compliant by
multiple reviewers, but because it is a translation and/or a work of
literature, does not actually define a standard for others to
follow. Because we have decided not to have a baseline-standard textbook
at this point, the textbook by Nick Nicholas and Robin Turner fits this
category.
An example of the third sort might be the Proposed Interpretive
Conventions page on the wiki.

III. LLG-Approved Author/Editor
This standard indicates that the work has been written or edited
by someone recognized by the compliance committee as skilled enough in
Lojban to perform the task, with the author/editor indicating his own level
of compliance with the baseline as part of the work. This allows for works
where we have no capability for independent certification, and also
recognizes that a certain level of competence in the language provides its
own authority. Experimental usages and non-compliant dialects can be
tolerated, but the author/editor must explicitly note that the work is not
baseline compliant (and preferably will indicate which usages are not
compliant).
Ju'i Lobypli and other LLG publications shall be produced to this
standard of compliance, with the editor being approved to serve as the
compliance authority or delegating that authority to others as she/he sees fit.

IV. LLG-Sanctioned
This standard is reserved for efforts such as the Lojban wiki, and
jboske discussions, where LLG wishes to encourage public activity in and
about Lojban, but where the editor/author, project director, or
contributors do not wish to guarantee or enforce baseline compliance.

V. LLG-Accepted Non-Compliant
This standard is for works known by the author/editor, or
determined by the compliance committee, to not comply with the baseline,
but which provide substantial and helpful assistance to Lojbanists. This
provides recognition and respect to useful works, while warning users to
beware of errant usages. The two versions of the draft textbook, having
obsolete and therefore incorrect information in them, would fit in this
category in their current form. Writings of language inventor James Cooke
Brown, written in and about other versions of Loglan, would also fit this
category.

DEFINITION OF "BASELINE" AND "FREEZE"

There has been confusion over these terms in the past, which are mostly
resolved by setting forth this new policy. However, in the event that
confusion again arises, these terms are more explicitly defined and
distinguished.

A language "baseline" is a snapshot of a portion or all of the language
design as documented at a particular point in time. Baselines are declared
so that everyone has a single image of what the standard for the language
is, for purposes of discussion and usage. While we might like all usage to
be compliant with the baseline, usage will inherently involve some trial
experimentation, and in any event people learning the language will not
always write in a manner consistent with the formal language description.

Baselines are not necessarily "frozen", but are changed only under formal
procedures with all changes being documented. A "freeze" is when the
organization managing the baseline commits itself for a period of time
wherein it will not consider such changes because of the need for an
extended period of stability in the baseline. Most of the language design
has been under such a freeze for approximately the last 5 years, but people
have been unable or unwilling to work on completing the documentation of a
baseline lexicon under the freeze conditions. The efforts of the byfy
described above will necessarily amount to a lifting of the freeze to
ensure consistency among all the baseline materials, but any changes to
existing baseline materials will be documented and justified, so baseline
practices will continue. After the baseline is declared complete, a new
freeze will then be imposed.

INCORPORATION OF PRIOR STATEMENT

The following material from the 1997 baseline declaration is reiterated in
the current statement, with a couple of notes as indicated. These
statements apply after the language baseline is declared complete and the
freeze is again imposed.

>LLG will actively seek to expand the Lojban user community, and will
>encourage that community to actively use the language. That use will
>likely result in enormous growth of the lexicon using the highly
>productive methods designed into the language. In addition, usage may
>resolve hitherto undecided issues, and may bring to light and resolve
>other issues not yet identified. This growth and evolution will take
>place informally, and without any restraints from LLG, in the manner of
>natural language evolution.
>
>Presuming that an active community forms, further language evolution
>will NOT take place by prescriptive changes produced by the Lojban
>designers.

>LLG's long-term role will be to promote the language and to serve a
>research and description function in analyzing how Lojban speakers
>actually use the language.
>
>
>ALL UNRESOLVED ISSUES TO BE RESOLVED BY ACTUAL USAGE
>
>Design points not covered in the reference grammar and/or the dictionary
>are intended to be resolved by actual usage, preferably by skilled
>speakers of the language. LLG may report on such usage when questions
>arise, but will not rule prescriptively on whether the usage is
>"correct" or not. If a usage occurs in natural communication and it is
>comprehended and accepted by other Lojbanists, then the usage is de
>facto "valid".
>
>Some Lojban supporters have asked that LLG make specific plans for a
>language review following the 5 year period, that it establish a
>committee and/or plan a formal procedure for proposing and discussing
>proposals during that period for consideration and implementation
>following the period. The LLG Board of Directors believes that this is
>contrary to the intended purpose of the baseline and freeze, which is to
>turn over the language to the users of the language, and to remove LLG
>from ANY prescriptive role which constrains the natural evolution of the
>language.
>
>LLG makes the commitment, however, that should it ever decide to
>establish any such procedures after the 5 year period, that all
>discussions of possible changes will occur solely in the Lojban
>language, ensuring that only actual users of Lojban will participate in
>any decision process.
>
>Editors of publications sponsored by LLG shall have their own discretion
>to accept or reject or edit Lojban text according to their own criteria,
>which may include conformance with the language prescription. If they
>do so, however, their decisions will be personal, as individual
>Lojbanists using the language, and based on their own competence in the
>language. Editors shall not prescribe language usage on behalf of LLG.
>Similarly, members and officers of LLG ... who are
>actively speaking and using the language, may express opinions about
>Lojban text and issues, but shall do so as Lojban users independent of
>their LLG roles.

Any editor may of course consult with the committee described above for
certifying baseline compliance, in deciding whether a Lojban text conforms
with the language prescription.

>EXPERIMENTAL USAGES
>
>The Lojban design includes language space specifically for trying new
>ideas in language usage. All cmavo (structure-words) of the form "xVV"
>are formally undefined, as are all cmavo-form words formed by adding one
>or more apostrophe and additional vowels onto the currently-used forms
>VV and CVV. There is also a ... concept for a specific subset of
>6 letter fu'ivla (borrowing) space to be used as experimental "fu'ivla
>gismu"; these would have the ability to be compounded into lujvo
>(compounds). The lujvo of course would also be experimental.
>
>These experimental word forms may be freely used to experiment with new
>usages in actual communication. We intend (but will not enforce) that
>the "xVV" cmavo space be permanently experimental, meaning that if
>Lojban users wish to adopt an experimental usage that has been found
>workable, we urge that they choose a cmavo from the longer undefined
>cmavo space for permanent usage. The very small number of undefined
>cmavo in the regular cmavo space could also be used, but we urge that
>they be reserved only for the most useful, widely accepted, and
>frequently used new ideas.

[Note: the byfy will, as part of the process of documenting the cmavo
list, have the authority to assign meanings to unused cmavo. These
assignments will be for two purposes:
a. If an experimental cmavo has seen significant actual usage by multiple
skilled users of the language during the last 5 years, the byfy may assign
a cmavo in non-experimental space to that usage, recognizing that the usage
is no longer experimental.
b. If multiple conflicting interpretations of the meaning or usage of a
particular cmavo exist, the byfy may select one of these meanings as the
standard one, and assign the other meaning(s) or usage(s) to other unused
cmavo in non-experimental space.

Recognizing that most experimental cmavo in current use have been of the
CVVV form, the byfy will have the authority, if it runs out of unused cmavo
space in implementing a and b above, to move the xVV cmavo space out of the
experimental realm and assign that as well. This however is a more
significant change than merely adding cmavo, and should be thoroughly
justified.

Newly assigned cmavo shall utilize only existing selma'o, since a baseline
change to the formal grammar such as would be needed to handle a new
selma'o would require the highest level of justification, and shouldn't be
considered unless a serious error or conflict is identified as part of the
work of the byfy.

We note that there is one case that has been identified where the formal
grammar and the text of the reference grammar conflict in a minor way. The
byfy will have the responsibility to resolve such conflicts. The Board
leaves to the discretion of a consensus of the byfy whether to consider
additional grammar rules that are consistent with usage and with design
goals, do not conflict with any existing standard, and can be successfully
YACCed, such as the ongoing discussion of ka'enai; a new official parser
must be created if any changes are approved (additional cmavo assignments
will require a new parser as well). The requirement for consensus and full
documentation will make such changes difficult enough that the Board does
not fear that any changes approved will be excessive or unwarranted.]

Experimental usages will not appear in the baseline lexicon. The editor of
the official dictionary publication will have the discretion to include an
appendix documenting experiments that have seen significant usage, noting
the fact that these experiments are not officially approved.

>Likewise, user additions to the regular 5-letter gismu forms are
>discouraged but no ban will be enforced. LLG intends to independently
>verify any user-added gismu for consistency with the existing
>prescription, and will document deviations descriptively, but will not
>suggest or enforce alterations.
>
>Lojban allows for unrestricted creation of lujvo compounds and fu'ivla
>borrowings in accordance with rules and conventions discussed in the
>reference grammar. Users are encouraged to coin new words in these
>forms as needed in speech and writing.

[Users are strongly encouraged to provide documentation of such coinages,
with definitions and place structures, when they first use them, so that
their intent is known. Most lujvo and fu'ivla that have been coined during
the last few years have not had such documentation; as such any effort to
add them or document them in dictionary form may assign a meaning or place
structure different than the person who coined the word might have
intended. LLG will provide a means to document such words, accessible via
the lojban.org web site.]

>LLG intends to document new lujvo and fu'ivla that come into use.
>Consistency or conflict with the lujvo-place structure conventions may
>be analyzed, but LLG will not suggest or enforce alteration to match the
>conventions. Recognizing that Type IV fu'ivla are difficult to make
>with assurance of validity, LLG intends to provide a service to
>Lojbanists who wish to verify that a proposed word follows the
>prescription. Individual Lojbanists providing this service on behalf of
>LLG may suggest alterations, but LLG as an organization will not enforce
>any changes.
>
>People using Lojban are encouraged to send archives of texts to

[email-masked]

>This will allow research analysis and documentation of
>Lojban usages in the text. Labelling the text "nopublic" or "not for
>public archive" will restrict the text to archives that will be
>available only to bona fide researchers.

The work of the byfy commission is dependent on having as complete a corpus
of Lojban usages as possible, so please submit any existing texts as early
as possible in order for them to be used.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of statement.

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org