Subject: Re: [lojban] LLG Board decisions made 25 November 2002

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:00:09 -0500

At 02:29 PM 11/27/02 +0000, And Rosta wrote:
>#1. (Especially for voting members) The LLG Annual Meeting will be held on
>#June 15, 2003 at 6PM EDT, completely separate from LogFest, using IRC or
>#some other on-line approach that will allow international members to
>#participate. [...]
>#If the meeting cannot be concluded by
>#July 15, then it will be adjourned until July 26 at LogFest, but that
>#should not happen. It is intended that we will try to have simultaneous
>#translation of the meeting in both English and Lojban by some mechanism.
>
>Is the idea that the meeting will run from June 15 to July 15? Are there 
>specific chunks of real time that I need to note in my diary so I can try 
>to keep them free?

The meeting will be held at the indicated time in June. If we cannot 
sustain a quorum, the meeting will have to be suspended. Likewise if 
things drag on because of the intent for Lojban translation. Member 
meetings in English at LogFest have tended to run 4-6 hours, and I doubt 
that we can do things that quickly under the new format. The compromises 
needed to make ANY time slot work with people ranging from Australian time 
to US time to European time means that we will not be able to keep a 
meeting productively going that long, so we built in room for the meeting 
to be "continued at a specific time". The exact times for any continuances 
will be negotiated by the members, and people are welcome to discuss it - I 
presume a weekend will be necessary to maximize participation. I wanted to 
give us a month to complete the meeting, and we needed to set the start 
time in calling it. The Board will (undoubtedly) go along with any 
consensus of the members on any further details that need to be settled in 
advance, and once the meeting starts, the members themselves decide.

I suggest that further discussions of this be followed up on the members 
list only to save bandwidth. In keeping with LogFest traditions we will 
probably allow non-members to "attend" the meeting, but the details will be 
determined by the members for their convenience.

>I'm very happy that such efforts are being made to accommodate overseas
>members, but I do hope we will have made sure in advance that whichever
>on-line method is chosen works for everyone.

The default intent is to use IRC, possibly on 2 channels to allow for the 
translation, with various alternates ultimately falling back to the members 
list, if nothing else works. Email isn't live and isn't as desirable (and 
it took 2 months to get through the Board meeting discussions via email 
with a much smaller group, but a comparably large agenda). Robin had ideas 
when we debated this on the members' list in August, and so did others.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org