Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [llg-members] Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:12:39 +1100

To clarify: the brief of the BPFK is to expand on the definition of 
cmavo, and to fix anything that is manifestly broken in the existing 
baseline. Expanding the phonotactics of word classes is not fixing 
something manifestly broken, it is expanding the phonotactic 
baseline. Therefore the BPFK is reluctant to look at it.

By speaking of writing it up in Lojban, Pierre is probably thinking 
indeed of whatever body will consider revisions to Lojban *after* the 
baseline. That's at least five years from the publication of the 
dictionary; and that body is yet to be constituted. We'll get back to 
it in five years.

You can make any suggestion you want to the BPFK, I suspect (though I 
haven't yet proposed any formal procedures to do so past the cmavo 
task, which is its major brief.) And do not be surprised if I 
agitate against it; but sure, we can consider anything.

But I state, for the first of many times undoubtedly: this is not 
open season on revisions. This is a tidying up. This is not to be a 
negation of the existing baseline.
-- 
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
* Dr Nick Nicholas, French & Italian Studies [email-masked] *
University of Melbourne, Australia http://www.opoudjis.net
* "Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity of locutional rendering, the *
circumscriptional appelations are excised." --- W. Mann & S. Thompson,
* _Rhetorical Structure Theory: A Theory of Text Organisation_, 1987. *
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****