Subject: Re: [lojban] Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: Arnt Richard Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:41:42 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group wrote:

> As indicated in the statement, we are seeking ratification of the Lojban
> community and not merely official voting members. The poll on yahoogroups
> lojban-list is set up as indicated. Those who prefer can reply to the poll
> question:
> >Do you support the new Lojban baseline policy statement posted to the list
> >and found at http://www.lojban.org/llg/baseline.html?
> via email to [email-masked]

I agree on the vast majority of the points in this statement. I must,
however, ask the board for a clarification on the mandate of the baseline
compliance committee, in particular the following paragraph:

> In the long term, this committee should become an independent entity not
> under the jurisdiction of the LLG Board or membership, although the Board
> or members might retain the right of consent to proposed members of this
> committee. The implementation of this independence should await the
> capability of fluent language communication on all matters regarding the
> language, since discussion in Lojban should be a fundamental principle for
> the operation of such an independent standard entity.

This seems to imply that the committee is *not* intended to be dissolved
as soon as the 5 year freeze has ended. What is the justification for
keeping a prescriptive body alive after the design phase of the language
has ended?

What is the *current* stance of the LLG board towards natural evolution of
Lojban once the design phase has ended?

Has the express policy of the LLG ever *been* to leave the language to its
speakers so as to let it evolve naturally? I was under the impression that
this was the case, but now that I'm trying to find official quotes to back
up this assumption, I can't find anything. Is the policy changed in this
matter?

Arnt Richard Johansen http://people.fix.no/arj/
Someone just called to say he loved you?!