Subject: Loglan

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:10:53 +1100

Steven, I don't get what you want the baseline statement to day.

That Loglan is ancestral to Lojban? Sure, but that's history, it has 
nothing to do with the baseline.

That Lojban is Loglan? I've never accepted that either, but that is 
current LLFG policy. I considered raising a motion against it, but 
decided it honestly wasn't worth the effort.

That strings of Loglan be acceptable in Lojban? Absolutely not, Lojban 
is its own language,

That there shall be a Lojban to Loglan toggle cmavo? The BPFK will 
consider such a motion, and you already know there is at least one vote 
against.

That any work be done to merge Lojban and Loglan into the same 
language, or even into similar languages? I have no interest in that, 
and I doubt many Lojbanists dating from after the split (the clear 
majority) do either.

That we recognise Loglan is a sibling language, and that Loglanists may 
have insights of value to Lojban? Doesn't do any harm, but I don't see 
the big deal. McIvor is welcome to sit in on the BPFK, I suppose. But 
he sits on it as a Lojbanist, not a Loglanist: I'm not doing a thing to 
advance language merger, only to advance the interests of Lojban.

Personally, I think the best respect to Loglan is done by leaving them 
alone, to their own language. We're not at war, but I really don't see 
the point in actively pinching people. A little bilingualism never hurt 
anybody.

So Steven, please clarify what you'd want.

(And btw, rejoice! We finally have an Academy [of sorts] :-) )

--
Dr Nick Nicholas [Stephen] King published _The Green Mile_ as
Research Assistant the first serialized novel since the 1920s,
French & Italian in a gesture that was meant to recall the
University of Melbourne serial work of Dickens. No doubt, King is the
Australia Dickens this century deserves.
[email-masked] -- Richard von Busack, _Metro Santa Cruz_,
http://www.opoudjis.net Dec. 8-15 1999, p. 29.