Subject: RE: [lojban] Loglan

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:28:12 -0500

At 07:08 PM 12/1/02 +0000, And Rosta wrote:
>Are there actually any active Loglanists interested in such a thing?

"Are there actually any active Loglanists" is the proper question.

>I myself was formerly in favour of rapprochement, if only so newcomers
>don't get posed the choice of Loglan vs Lojban. But if Loglan is now
>nigh-on extinct, there seems no point in rapprochement, though
>I would favour more actively applying the name Loglan to Lojban,
>to ensure that people seeking Loglan (e.g. by googling) find their way
>to modern Loglan, i.e. Lojban. I suppose what I'm saying is that if
>there isn't enough of a thriving TLI Loglan community to actually have
>rapprochement with, we should go the other way and more volubly declare Lojban
>to be Loglan.

There is not and really has NEVER been a "thriving TLI Loglan community" in 
the sense that we would use that phrase with Lojban.

On the other hand, JCB sold over the years probably 2000-3000 copies of 
Loglan 1 in its various versions (the initial print run of a thousand for 
the 3rd edition sold out in less than a year, since he spent the money to 
advertise in Scientific American, and people remembered the 1960 
article). There are thus a relatively enormous (compared to either of the 
two "active" communities) number of what Steven Belknap called "sleeper 
cells" or rather "sleeper individuals" out there many of whom are waiting 
for what JCB never delivered, and we are close to delivering: a "completed" 
language that they can learn without fear of the powers that be changing it 
yet again for purposes of "improvement" (a symptom that has killed so many 
artificial languages and their communities in the last hundred years that 
you would think that we'd learn something by now).

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org