Subject: [lojban] Re: Some concerns from a Lojban beginner

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 18:39:40 -0500

>I've just recently started to learn Lojban, and so far I like what I
>see.

>I am getting a bit troubled when I read the discussion about catering
>for the other Loglan dialect as well.

>As I've understood it, they are mostly orthogonal when it comes to
>gismu, and that's where the big learning part is for me at least. I am
>quite fast in picking up grammar and semantics, but terribly slow in
>learning new words.

>So, anyone wanting to have a way to incorporate Loglan words into
>Lojban, please go ahead, but I won't be able to read them, I am not
>interested in learning double sets of words.

>Changing the baseline words, the 1300 gismu, is also probably a
>no-option.

>I thinks it's better to keep the languages separate and let people use
>the one they think is better.

>By the way, if anyone has a good method for learning words, let me know!

I absolutely agree. However, I should point out that there is no assumption
that we would all learn Loglan in xo'a were official. I do not understand
what it would be used for, except maybe quoting Loglan text, but I have no
intention of learning what amounts to a whole new language just because
someone wanted Lojban to be a steward of the dzebau.