Subject: Re: [lojban] Some concerns from a Lojban beginner

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:57:14 -0500

At 12:26 AM 12/2/02 +0100, Martin Norbäck wrote:
>So, anyone wanting to have a way to incorporate Loglan words into
>Lojban, please go ahead, but I won't be able to read them, I am not
>interested in learning double sets of words.
>
>Changing the baseline words, the 1300 gismu, is also probably a
>no-option.

No one expects any Lojbanist to learn any Loglan words. The toggle is 
primarily to enable a one-way transition from TLI Loglan to Lojban. It is 
one way, because Lojban is by far the better language, with the more active 
community; there are no advantages in moving the other way.

>I thinks it's better to keep the languages separate and let people use
>the one they think is better.

The main purpose of the toggle/incorporation proposal is that it encourages 
TLI Loglanists to transition to Lojban. Depending on how they implement 
the toggle and transition dialect, they can start using Lojban style and 
syntax, then start using Lojban cmavo, and then start using Lojban 
vocabulary as they learn it. It makes switching that much less 
painful. More importantly, it de facto ends TLI Loglan as a separate 
language without playing things out; even today there are people trying to 
revive Volapu:k which was effectively dead the day that Zamenhof published 
the Esperanto Fundamento. This makes it that much harder for those who 
would try to continue it as a rival to Lojban, forcing every newcomer to 
make a relatively uninformed choice between the two versions.

>By the way, if anyone has a good method for learning words, let me know!

LogFlash embodies the most successful algorithm for learning words by study 
that we've ever found, but it isn't "fun" for most people. Other than 
that, trying to write in Lojban is the only way to really master the 
vocabulary.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org