Subject: [lojban] Re: Loglan

From: Steven Belknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 18:48:52 -0600

On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 06:19 PM, Invent Yourself wrote:

>>> So this discussion is logically null. You want to patch over the
>>> schism, but you claim to realize that there is in fact no way to 
>>> merge
>>> the two languages, making the idea of schism resolution is
>>> meaningless. You argue vociferously in the interest of an invisible,
>>> silent population -- Loglanists who now have a new interest in 
>>> Lojban.
>>> You have argued for but then de-emphasized that toggle cmavo. You 
>>> have
>>> complained about your lost Loglan efforts, but then claimed to have
>>> forgotten most of your Loglan anyway. And you want to convince 
>>> newbies
>>> of the changelessness of Lojban by offering to change it for them.
>>
>> Maybe you ought to switch to decaf.
>
> Try posting other than such this tangled mess of non sequiturs, 
> shifting
> goals, outright contradictions, and cheap shots, and I won't be driven 
> to
> drink!

The non-sequiturs, shifting goals, and outright contradictions are 
present only in your distorted, unfair summaries of my opinions. I 
never advocated merging the languages, only in finding a way to 
facilitate the transition from Loglan to lojban. I *did* feel unhappy 
about my lost Loglan efforts and *have* since forgotten most of my 
loglan vocabulary - these are not mutually incompatible. I have not 
suggested changing lojban, other than to express mild support for the 
toggling cmavo. The toggling cmavo might help Loglanders to transition 
to lojban. Perhaps there are other mechanisms which would be more 
effective for expanding the lojban community, but I believe the 
downside of a toggling cmavo is virtually nil. Certainly, if the 
toggling cmavo would "break" lojban, it should not be adopted.

A language requires a community of speakers in order to thrive. 
Loglanders are more likely than practically anybody else to have some 
interest in lojban. Helping lojban to thrive is my goal, which has not 
shifted whatsoever. Your goals are unclear to me. Are they clear to 
you? If so, could you share them with us?

-Steven