Subject: Re: [lojban] xo'a

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 20:10:14 -0500

At 02:24 PM 12/1/02 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>On Sunday 01 December 2002 14:08, And Rosta wrote:
> > pier:
> > > Adding {xo'a ... hoa} to the grammar would require adding the entire
> > > Loglan grammar to the Lojban one, and more besides, since the toggle
> > > could occur in a variety of places in a sentence and we would have to
> > > figure out what happens to grouping rules, terminators, etc. when
> > > switching languages in the middle of a tanru. If we can't even publish a
> > > list of corresponding cmavo, there's no way we can add {xo'a}
> >
> > i had assumed that the parser would simply switch off when it hits xo'a
> > and switch on again when it hits hoa. Was that assumption wrong?
>
>How would you handle the following?:
>
>.i la djig. cusku lu doi talen xo'a nu jimta lu .i le vi po jimta hoa pu
>spaji la talen.
>
>The languages are close enough that you can intermix them, but different
>enough that this causes problems. A Romance example (since I know very little
>Loglan): Ele enviou-me uma mensagem, que j'ai lue. Should the last word be
>"lu"? The word "message" is masculine in French.

I would suspect that the xo'a ... hoa string would be taken as non-Lojban 
"text" (and would be a rule at that level of the grammar). You would not 
mix languages freely in one sentence (except in the limited ways in which a 
"text" structure can be embedded inside a sentence). A transition dialect 
with Lojban cmavo and TLI gismu (as Belknap is asking for) would require a 
different toggle, but would require no grammar change at all (the toggle 
words could be UI).

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org