Subject: [lojban] Re: Why we should cancel the vote or all vote NO (was RE: Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:09:37 -0800

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 02:53:51PM -0500, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> The seeking of a mandate was, IMHO, a sign of respect to the greater
> community. Nothing in the LLG Bylaws requires us to seek a mandate.

The above bears repeating.

We're talking about an *LLG* policy here. Not an official statement of
the whole lojban community or something. As such, the most that the
bylaws, or even basic politeness IMO, could *possibly* require is that
the entire membership ratify it.

Ranting on about how the whole community should have been consulted from
the get-go is just silly.

> (And I daresay that you are guilty of doing precisely what you object
> to from us - at one point recently taking a jboske debate and
> apparently presuming that everyone who did not explicitly object
> supported your "consensus" written up on the wiki, when jboske itself
> is only a subset of the community.)

Oh, And did that long before the Wiki post. The whole reason that I
brought the issue to the main list was his post to the effect of, "This
is a boring old issue that has been solved. There's no point talking
about it. We just didn't bother to document it".

> So the bottom line is whether the community is willing to follow
> Nick's lead. 

I am. I'd prefer to be on the byfy group, but even if I wasn't, I'd
accept Nick's decisions, assuming there were at least a few other people
I consider competent lojbanists involved.

> I have not looked at the poll to see intermediate results, and do not
> think that I should do so, so I don't even know how many have voted. I
> know that if Robin is sending copies to me of the
> [email-masked] submissions (which I asked him to collect so
> that there would be an independent verification of those votes), then
> no one is using that means to vote, since my filters haven't picked up
> any such submissions. I know only that opponents of the policy have
> been vociferous, and supporters relatively silent.

That was an error on my part, and has been rectified.

> We'll know the results shortly after the poll ends. I allowed 10 days
> for the vote, since I know that people may easily be off line for a
> week.

Please post seperately when there are only a few days left, to warn
people.

> The Board's job is to act on matters in between members' meetings.
> Thus it is our JOB to not wait for consultation with the membership.

*DAMN* *STRAIGHT*.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u jmaji le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi