Subject: [lojban] Re: Why we should cancel the vote or all vote NO (was RE: Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 01:50:57 -0000

Robin:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 12:23:20PM -0000, And Rosta wrote:
> > I don't think it is right for the Board to formulate policy that seeks
> > a mandate without first consulting the community on what that policy
> > should be. I don't even think it's right for the voting members to do
> > so either. 
> 
> Then what the hell is the *point* of having a board?

I've been wondering about that, and also about the point of having
voting and nonvoting members. I gather it has something to do with
DC legal requirements, but I'm not really clued up. 

I suppose that if we were designing our political systems from scratch
I would expect the Board to be elected to represent the members'
interests, with Board members chosen for their industry, probity,
representativeness, etc. -- in other words, pretty much as at present,
except you'd expect them to consult the membership on important issues
with long-term repercussions.

> Yeesh 

What does "yeesh" mean?

> > I doubt the policy will be voted down. When will we know whether it
> > has been or not? Perhaps the best way to proceed would be for me (or
> > someone) to put to the members meeting a proposal to solicit feedback
> > and discussion on the policy, revise the policy in the light of
> > feedback, and then submit it to general vote. In the meantime, a Yes
> > vote could be taken as general approval for the policy, without any
> > implication that the policy in its specifics is optimal 
> 
> Umm, there's this thing called 'change' that you may have heard of. If
> this passes, and you have an objection to a specific aspect, you are
> more than welcome to call for a change at the member's meeting 

I don't really understand the protocols and procedures. I'm not
sure whether what I was describing is technically 'change'. If I
want to put forward a motion that the Board consult the membership,
do I call that 'change'? I'm pretty confused -- are the by-laws
online anywhere?

--And.