Subject: [lojban] Re: Why we should cancel the vote or all vote NO (was RE: Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:56:00 -0500 (EST)

And Rosta scripsit:

> > Then what the hell is the *point* of having a board?
> 
> I've been wondering about that, and also about the point of having
> voting and nonvoting members. I gather it has something to do with
> DC legal requirements, but I'm not really clued up. 

The membership makes decisions for the community at its annual meeting.
Historically, almost anyone can become a member if they are willing to
either show up for the meeting or send in a proxy. Most people have
used generic proxies ("Bob can vote me"), though specific instructions
are both legitimate and have been used.

The Board, in turn, makes decisions for the membership in between
membership meetings. Its decisions can be overruled by an annual
or special membership meeting. We have never had a special membership
meeting.

> except you'd expect them to consult the membership on important issues
> with long-term repercussions.
> 
> > Yeesh 
> 
> What does "yeesh" mean?

Approximately "What an obviously unreasonable expectation."

-- 
John Cowan [email-masked] http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Is it not written, "That which is written, is written"?