Subject: cmegadri valfendi preti

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:20:23 -0500

I am calling {doi} a cmegadri for this purpose, even though it's not a gadri.

According to BRKWORDS.TXT:

1) Names:
a) If the last letter of the piece is a consonant, we have a name. A
name must have a pause before it UNLESS it is immediately preceded by
a /la/, /lai/, /la'i/ or /doi/ as a marker, and it cannot contain any
of these markers unless the marker is immediately preceded by a conso-
nant. So, look backwards from the end of the piece for any of the
allowed markers. If we don't find one (e.g. /jonz/), then the whole
piece has been resolved as a name.
b) If you do find such a marker, then check what immediately precedes
it. If there is nothing (e.g. /ladjAn/), or if a vowel precedes (e.g.
/mivIskaladjAn./, break off the marker as a resolved piece (/la/), and
what follows it is also a resolved piece, a name (/djAn/), leaving us
with whatever preceded the marker, if anything, as still unresolved
(/mivIska/).
c) If what precedes the marker is a consonant (e.g. /karoslAInas/)
then ignore the marker and continue looking backwards. This exception
is allowed because /karos/ with no following pause cannot represent a
separate word.

I am doing two versions of the cmegadri finding routine, the alahum version 
and the standard version. The alahum version requires that the cmegadri be 
followed by a consonant; the standard version doesn't.

Assuming that the standard version follows the instructions above, process 
{doias}. Looking backward, find {doi}. It is preceded by nothing, so break it 
off. The result is two pieces, {doi} and {as}. But that is wrong, since {doi 
as} must have a pause before {as}. The alahum version would not split it 
because {as} does not begin with a consonant.

On {doi'as}, however, the standard version would again break it into {doi} 
and {'as}. {'as} would then be resolved as an error. The alahum version would 
not break it, and {doi'as} would be resolved as a cmene.

So, for the standard version, should I look for a consonant or y'y after the 
cmegadri?

Another question: why is the cmegadri broken off from what precedes it, 
instead of just breaking between the cmene and the cmegadri and leaving the 
cmegadri to be found later? What about {MUstelaVIson} and {muSTElaVIson}? How 
should they be analyzed?

phma