Subject: [lojban] Re: Loglan

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:06:56 -0000

Robin:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:05:33PM -0500, Craig wrote:
> > >>> McIvor is not on the BPFK, is he? Why not invite him?
> > >>
> > >> Bob expressly wants to invite him. I didn't, and if he is invited,
> > >> as far as I'm concerned, he's invited as a Lojbanist (or at the
> > >> least, as someone with expertise in Logical Language), not as a
> > >> Loglanist 
> > 
> > >I received an informal invitation to participate, but having read all
> > >the correspondence to this point, I see no point in doing so 
> > 
> > I must say, I am extremely dissappointed. Not that anyone chooses not
> > to be on the bypyfyk, but that we have driven away a person who has
> > expressed some interest in the language 
> 
> He's explicitely declared that he has no interest in learning the
> vocabulary of lojban. What definition of 'interest in the language' are
> you using?

I would say that reading this list and participating to some extent
counts as interest in the language. I have no interest in making
conscious effort to learn the vocab (though I do like it when I
learn words without having made any conscious effort to do so), yet
I devote a great deal of time and energy and thought to Lojban, so
presumably am manifesting an interest in it.

Bob doesn't make clear which elements of the correspondence put him
off participating. I hope it wasn't the fear of being made unwelcome
or of being the target of hostility or rudeness. If that was the
reason, we should really try to put it right. OTOH, I imagine that
at 78 one feels impelled to allocate one's time with a judiciousness
unknown to reckless youth, and I can well imagine that a sane
person would think that involvement with the BF would not qualify
as judicious use of time.

--And.