Subject: [lojban] Re: Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:17:18 -0500

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 20:59, sbelknap wrote:
> Another point, is that when my son learns the lojban for a word in a given
> symantic category, he wants to know the other words in the same category. I
> translated Pierre's post for him, and we talked about the birds datka,
> gunse, jipci, and xruki. He wanted to know the gismu for penguin, which is
> prominently displayed on a Linux book on my desk. I told him limcpi, but I
> guess that's probably not very good.

There isn't a gismu for penguin, but there is one for Antarctica, dzipo. I 
don't know a good word for penguin. I've tried these:
sfenisku: meaningless lujvo. cipnrsfenisku is ok, but cumbersome.
sfeniku or sfenisu: ok, but don't sound quite right.
bisycpi: not all penguins live on ice, there are some as far north as 
Galápagos.
zipcpi or zi'ocpi: ditto. There are other birds there as well. zi'ocpi sounds 
like a nonexistent bird.

What I'd like to know is why there are two gismu for Anseriformes and two for 
Galliformes, and none for Passeriformes, which is by far the most speciose 
order of birds, or any other order.

The wiki has a list of animals on 
http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/danlu%20baljutsi . Try explaining {lenu 
punji le sovda be lo'e cipnrkuku kukuku zvati le zdani be lo'e na'e cipnrkuku 
kuku}.

phma