Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Official Statement- LLG Board approves new baseline policy

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 09:16:28 -0500

At 12:17 AM 12/5/02 -0500, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>What I'd like to know is why there are two gismu for Anseriformes and two for
>Galliformes, and none for Passeriformes, which is by far the most speciose
>order of birds, or any other order.

Because no one even attempted to consider modern taxonomy systems as part 
of the gismu selection process. It was presumed that most animals and 
plants would be dealt with formally by Linnean fu'ivla and informally by 
lujvo, and that it was an intractable problem to consider doing anything 
more than leaving it to "usage to decide" how much effort would be put into 
comprehensive taxonomical analysis.

The gismu for plants and animals were selected for cultural significance, 
primarily to the cultures speaking the 6 languages. Food animals and 
plants were the primary ones that "rated" a gismu. I'm sure some cultures 
eat penguins, but it isn't a mainstream menu item.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org