Subject: Official Tengwar!

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 20:43:31 +1100

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:15:57 -0500
From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Baseline statement

> At 04:22 AM 12/5/02 -0800, Theodore Reed wrote:
>> Which Tengwar orthography? I recall there being like 5 different
>> versions, three of which are elrond's. When I made the LojbanTengwar
>> yudit input mode (available if anyone wants it), I used one of 
>> elrond's
>> with a few minor mods.
>
> The one in CLL is the officially baselined non-standard %^)

Which means Raymond, of course.

OK, I admit this is a wholly frivolous thing to bring up (in either 
sense); but if anyone is going to have the nerve to say "Elrond's 
schemes are illicit, because CLL gives Raymond's", then we either say 
"CLL can't be official about stuff it describes as unofficial, please 
get a grip" --- or we pass an addendum into the CLL at that point, 
saying "there are other Tengwar schemes out there, by people actually 
still with us as opposed to blogging about the right for infants to 
bear arms" :-) .

Note that backward compatibility was mostly retained with Raymond's 
scheme in the consonants. At least, mostly. And I think they are all 
mutually intelligible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 
+++
Nick Nicholas. The Nonce and Future Henry Squirrel was thirsty. He
Linguist. University of Melbourne. walked over to the river bank
[email-masked] where his good friend Bill Bird
http://www.lexicon.net.au/~opoudjis was sitting. Henry slipped and
fell in the river. Gravity 
drowned.
--- TALE-SPIN Story Generator, James Meehan, Yale AI Lab, 1975.