Subject: Re: [lojban] Official Tengwar!

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 11:50:22 -0500

At 08:43 PM 12/6/02 +1100, Nick Nicholas wrote:
> > At 04:22 AM 12/5/02 -0800, Theodore Reed wrote:
> >> Which Tengwar orthography? I recall there being like 5 different
> >> versions, three of which are elrond's. When I made the LojbanTengwar
> >> yudit input mode (available if anyone wants it), I used one of
> >> elrond's
> >> with a few minor mods.
> >
> > The one in CLL is the officially baselined non-standard %^)
>
>Which means Raymond, of course.

Where ideas come from does not matter. I disagree with his politics as 
much as anyone, and did not much approve of putting Tengwar in CLL, since 
it seemed frivolous to me (not being a Tolkien or Tengwar aficionado).

>OK, I admit this is a wholly frivolous thing to bring up (in either
>sense); but if anyone is going to have the nerve to say "Elrond's
>schemes are illicit, because CLL gives Raymond's", then we either say
>"CLL can't be official about stuff it describes as unofficial, please
>get a grip"

But it is official; just not standard (or is that vice versa %^). If we 
had known better, John could have described it as "proposed" or 
"experimental", which people seem to accept as explicitly meaning that it 
has a lower standing (to the point where And argues that he wants to 
eliminate the distinction - so we can't win).

> --- or we pass an addendum into the CLL at that point,
>saying "there are other Tengwar schemes out there, by people actually
>still with us as opposed to blogging about the right for infants to
>bear arms" :-) .

Stop after the comma, and that sounds like a useful byfy decision.

>Note that backward compatibility was mostly retained with Raymond's
>scheme in the consonants. At least, mostly. And I think they are all
>mutually intelligible.

I have no idea on the merits of the various proposals; I know nothing about 
Tengwar other than that it is pretty squiggles.

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org