Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: cmegadri valfendi preti

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:05:21 -0000

Lojbab:
> >It is therefore irrelevant that making the rules even more
> >complex will make life even harder for the listener struggling to parse
> >in real time. I think the rules could not be simplified to the point
> >where they could be used in realtime, unless the entire morphology
> >was discarded and redesigned from scratch 
> 
> Since real human beings have spoken and understood Lojban is real time 
> (though Nick at full bore exceeds my capabilities, it is usually because he 
> is using words I don't recall rather than that I can't break his speech 
> into words), this sounds like a post-Apollo claim that the moon is really a 
> lump of green cheese 20 miles up 

It shouldn't sound like that. As you may have noticed, English doesn't
have self-segmentation, yet you converse in it without problems with
determining word boundaries.

As I said in messages of yesterday, I strongly suspect that with
spoken Lojban, as with natural languages, we rely mainly on pragmatics
rather than phonology to disambiguate word-boundaries. I acknowledge
that I have had almost nil experience of hearing spoken Lojban
while you have had a lot, so I may be wrong. 

--And.