Subject: [lojban] Re: "2moi" crap (was Re: Aesthetics)

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:13:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Jordan DeLong wrote:

> > That's just cause you haven't internalized the numbers yet. Rest assured,
> > science and the accounting books in "Lojbanistan" are not done with two-
> > and three-letter numerical cmavo.
>
> Yes I have internalized the numbers; that's the problem. I've been
> speaking english for many years.

I prefer consistency than the employment of arbitrary devices to aid
beginners. Perhaps in another year or two, you will have internalized the
Lojban numbers.

> Note, however, that I mind things like "li 12312.0012" far less
> than this "2moi" crap. The former is truely for what you
> claim---shorting things when writing them because we're dealing
> with long numbers. The latter is just lame; "re" is not harder to
> write than "2", and it is *much* easier to read.
>
> No one will ever need to write "12312.0012moi"

That's an absurd claim, unless you're referring to the decimal point.
People will indeed need to write 83629553moi.

Where will your arbitrary threshold be? Under no conditions are cmavo
shorter than digits.

-- 
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.