Subject: schism mending (was: RE: Re: Some concerns from a Lojban beginner

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 02:19:05 -0000

Lojbab:
> And if we make a constructive peace with TLI, we will be the language 
> schism that mended, 

In the recent discussion about intensifying rapprochement with TLI,
the implicit reasons seemed to be (a) recruiting new people to
Lojban and (b) being nice. But I support it for the reason Lojbab
gives: the fact that every invented language not owned by a single
author splits once it has more than half a dozen speakers seems
to indicate both the laughable pettiness of invented languages
and their homogeneity, their muchofamuchnessness. If the schism
were mended, we could boast of being the first conlang to heal
its schism and moreover this would serve as concrete proof that
we are driven by goals whose rationality is demonstrated by 
the way they conduce to convergence.

(Because I think that schism-mending is valuable, for these reasons,
I'd be quite sympathetic to moves the merge the two languages
themselves.) 

--And.