Subject: [lojban] Re: cmegadri valfendi preti

From: Nora LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 18:34:53 -0500

At 05:36 PM 12/8/02 -0500, Pierre wrote:
>On Sunday 08 December 2002 17:07, And Rosta wrote:
> > pier:
> > > The problem with section 16 is that it cannot be extended to fu'ivla
> > > longer than 6 letters which end in CCVVCV, and is very difficult to
> > > extend to longer fu'ivla of whatever form. I have a proposal that works
> > > for a large class of fu'ivla, including both CCVVCV and all type-3's that
> > > end in a single vowel, and have only to code it up and prove it
> >
> > Is your proposal on the wiki? Seeing as you are our main fuhivla wonk,
> > I imagine that the BF would tend to look to you for 'expert opinion'
> > in the first instance.
>
>It's on the page [rafsi fu'ivla].

Per the Wiki page referenced above:
All type-3 fu'ivla ending in a single vowel, and many type-4 fu'ivla such 
as those of form CCVC/CVCV (e.g. mlongena, eggplant) can also be given 
rafsi. The rule is: Remove the final vowel and try to resolve what's left 
into a string of rafsi, all three-letter except possibly for the last which 
may be four-letter, and possibly with an 'r' inserted after the first if it 
is CVV (or 'n' if the next letter is 'r'). If this fails, and the fu'ivla 
begins with a consonant and ends with a single vowel, then the result of 
removing the final vowel is its rafsi.

However, you have not considered how it interacts with the rest of the 
speech stream. For example, if mlongena + nelci becomes mlongenynei (with 
stress, mlongEnynei), then 2 of them is "re mlongenynei", which in the 
speech stream is {remlongEnynei}, which is a lujvo 
(rem+lon+gen+y+nei). Adding new capabilities for fu'ivla is not as simple 
as it looks.

-- 
mi'e noras [email-masked]
Nora LeChevalier