Subject: [lojban] Re: rei (was: RE: Re: More stuff

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:55:41 -0500

>> > >You are likely right about the lack of redundancy, but (a) it is
>> > >unlikely to be a frequent problem, given that word recognition uses
>> > >pragmatic as well as phonetic clues,
>> >
>> > On the contrary, it has already been a problem. TLI Loglan had it
>> > with their numbers (which are ni ne to te fo fe so se vo ve), which
>> > Bob Chassell and others had problems with, so I made the Lojban set
>> > what it is now - yet people object to re/rei.
>>
>> s/people/thinkit/

>I and, I infer, Craig, think the objection is a good one. The other
>digit cmavo are assigned maximally distinct forms, so replacing {rei}
>with {xei} would be consistent with the principle behind the other
>digits. I realize that Tinkit is hex's only fan, but Lojban is
>designed to accommodate hex fans (& I myself am quite pleased that
>there are words for 'ten, eleven, dozen').

Indeed. When referring to 13 items, I am more likely to say "jau datci" than
"paci datci"; but 16 for me is paxa, since I really am using decimal there.