Subject: [lojban] Re: Loglan google hits.

From: Theodore Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:25:52 -0800

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:01:46 -0800
Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So, I don't think that anyone searching on loglan will have to do too
> much work to find lojban...
> 
> -Robin

Just like me. 

In Robert A Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast", loglan is mentioned in
the context of programming languages. It sounded familiar, and I thought
maybe it was a dialect of fortran (heh!), so I hit google to find more
info about it. I quickly found the loglan web site, and some other
sites. I also found the lojban site, but at first, it seemed like a
half-assed remake of loglan (alas, I can't remember the reason for this
opinion anymore, it may have been the years old "we're working on this
wordlist/book/etc" notices). So I started learning loglan.

After a week or so, I wondered how big of a community loglan had, and
could find virtually no online presence beyond the official site. It was
this fact that lead me back to lojban. I took a longer look at it, and
then discovered the IRC channel, and a thriving wiki and several sites.
A community! I kept on with learning lojban instead of loglan, and came
to realize that it was certainly not a half-assed version of loglan, and
it had the important advantage of actually having people with whom I
could converse in it.

So, there you have a large part of why I don't think loglan should be at
all relevant to lojbanists, except as historical data .

-- 
Theodore Reed (rizen/bancus) -==- http://www.surreality.us/
~OpenPGP Signed/Encrypted Mail Preferred; Finger me for my public key!~

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his
own way." -- Robert Frost