Subject: [lojban] What is the meaning of Loglan?

From: sbelknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:48:29 -0600

Loglan is an English language contraction for the phrase "Logical Language." 
It is a generic term, not limited to the TLI, Jim Carter, or LLG flavor. The 
*official position* of LLG is that lojban is Loglan! Get over it! I choose to 
interpret this as meaning that Loglan is the English language word for LLG 
Loglan.

The fact that Loglan may also be used to refer to TLI Loglan or to Jim 
Carter's Loglan is irrelevant, since these flavors of Loglan are moribund and 
silly, respectively. The alternative interpretation of official LLG 
policy-that TLI Loglan does not exist and that the LLG Loglan is the only 
Loglan-is simply counterfactual. One definition of insanity is "adhering to 
beliefs that are demonstrably false."

Loglan dates back to 1958 or maybe 1955 (reports vary). The grammar of LLG 
Loglan is only trivially different from that of TLI Loglan. Nearly all the 
"new" LLG Loglan words have nearly their exact counterpart in TLI Loglan. LLG 
Loglan is (a) Loglan!

Henceforth, I will refer to LLG's flavor of the language as Loglan when 
writing in English and lojban when writing in lojban. I thank my 
correspondents for pointing out my previous, erroneous practice.

-Steven