Subject: [lojban] Re: tags

From: Steven Belknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:39:58 -0600

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 09:49 PM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:45:16PM -0600, sbelknap wrote:
>> But Robin has a point: the most important tag is the title tag. The
>> most effective strategy would be to change the title tag to something
>> like:
>>
>> Loglan: The Logical Language (lojban lo lojbo bangu)
>
> Just to be absolutely, explicitely, *painfully* clear what I think of
> this idea:
>
> If the board ever requests that I do this, I will immediately resign as
> webmaster.
>
> -Robin

That would be a shame, for Robin has done an excellent job with the web 
site. Would this be more acceptable to Robin?

lojban lo lojbo bangu (Loglan: The Logical Language)

I am quite fascinated with the hostility expressed towards TLI Loglan. 
The original reasons for this hostility are gone. This hostility is now 
counterproductive. What explains this bizarre xenophobia? What explains 
the insertion of the phrase "lojban is Loglan" in lojban official 
policy? (I am aware of the history of this phrase, I am asking whether 
there is a deeper explanation than the historical animus of that legal 
battle.) Was this some kind of "language murder"? Is this shared 
revulsion towards Loglan by so many newbies a solidarity ritual? How 
very tribal! Can we link it somehow to the upcoming winter solstice? 
Maybe we should all get tatooed or branded "mi lojbo"! Perhaps the most 
interesting observations about Loglan will be related to schisms and 
vestigial primitive thinking rather than to Sapir-Whorf.

-Steven