Subject: [lojban] Re: tags

From: Steven Belknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 08:59:44 -0600

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 04:56 AM, Newton, Philip wrote:

> sbelknap wrote:
>> The most effective strategy would be to change the title
>> tag to something like:
>>
>> Loglan: The Logical Language (lojban lo lojbo bangu)
>
> Did you deliberately use a phrase in Lojban that is not (by my
> understanding) a translation of the English phrase? The Lojban doesn't 
> talk
> about a Logical language; rather, it talks about a Lojbanic language 
> (which
> includes Loglan by some accounts, but not {lo bangu poi ke'a logji 
> gi'enai
> lojbo}).

My usage here was deliberate. I believe that the phrases <lojban lo 
lojbo bangu> and <Loglan: The Logical Language> overlap somewhat in 
their meaning. My intent was to imply that LLG Loglan is to Loglan in 
English as <lojban> is to lojbanic languages in LLG Loglan.

That was the best I could come up with. Perhaps it would be better to 
have the title as:

lojban lo lojbo bangu (Loglan: The Logical Language)

I do want to be respectful to the history of Loglan and the remaining 
Loglanders. I consider myself to be both lojbanistani and Loglander. I 
must admit that I find myself quite offended by some statements on this 
list which seem distinctly unwelcoming to other Loglanders, and 
disrespectful of the accomplishments of JCB, McIvor, and for that 
matter, lojbab. Since TLI Loglan is now moribund, and I am no longer 
using TLI Loglan, (and I'm working hard to improve my LLG Loglan 
vocabulary), it seems that as a pragmatic matter I am lojbanistani. I 
expect that all that is about as clear as mud.

co'o mi'e la stivn