Subject: Re: [lojban] brochure: aesthetics

From: Jim Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:39:56 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Nick Nicholas wrote:
> http://www.opoudjis.net/lojbanbrochure/lojbanLevel0.pdf
> (2) To see if you dislike Trebuchet for Lojban less than Andale Mono.
> Trebuchet certainly makes a statement; I'm just not sure if it's the
> right statement for Lojban text.
>
> The News Gothic font (as plain as American Gothic), I've already
> decided, is a mistake for the notes text --- which is much more
> prominent in the lessons, as it's also what the exercises will be in;
> next time, I'm trying Optima.

The italic font in the pronunciation guide for the Latin-1 representations
is pretty good looking.

I see what you mean, that the "notes" font (News Gothic sans-serif?) isn't
very good. (I'm looking at the note after "Phonology" in "Overview", page
ordinal 24, printed page number 16.) At least as shown by my Ghostview at
several magsteps, there's a resonance with the rendering grid that makes
half the lines double width, and even without that glitch, I generally
don't like sans-serif fonts for running text.

Oops, widow line on page ordinal 95, printed number 87, end of poem
"Dangerous Journey". Maybe some special squeezing is in order. Nice poem,
Jorge!

Trebuchet sans-serif comes out reasonably good looking for running Lojban,
despite my bias in general against sans-serif fonts. This is mainly what
you wanted an opinion on.

These fonts are all in the public domain or have generous licenses, right?
Or LLG paid for a license?

I see some page numbering issues -- the offset between the page ordinal and
the printed number seems not to be constant. ("Page ordinal" means
counting all pages, with the first (title) page as 1, as shown in the
navigation window of a PDF viewer.)

Section	Printed nbr	Table of cont.	Ordinal
Table of Contents	iii	none (duh)	3
Introduction cover page	none	3	7
Questions and Answers	1	1	9
Pronunciation guide	99	101	107

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email-masked] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)