Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: html tag ethics

From: Steven Belknap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:44:04 -0600

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 01:07 PM, Robert LeChevalier wrote:
> You might prefer it, but the community has chosen to use Lojban. I
> occasionally use the full name "Lojban - A Realization of Loglan" when
> being formal, but informally no one is likely to use that
> phrase. Meanwhile, in the context of your 500, TLI Loglan is not even 
> a
> single language, but a family of languages, ranging from the one in the
> 1960 Sci Am article to the 3rd edition language of 1974-5 to the 4th
> edition language of 1989, to the current TLI language. But all of them
> call their language "Loglan", and our language "Lojban".

The opinion of the eventual Loglan community about the name of the 
language in English may be different from the opinion of the current 
Loglan community. I believe that "LLG Loglan" is clearly distinct from 
"TLI Loglan" If I prefer to use this term and my readers or listeners 
understand me, what harm is done?

>> In the interests of clarity for those who lack a full appreciation 
>> for
>> the history of the language, I have agreed to use LLG Loglan for the
>> active language for a brief time. I will now only use lojban when 
>> writing
>> in LLG Loglan. Which reminds me that all this political nonsense is
>> interfering with my actual learning of LLG Loglan.
>
> Yes it is. And everyone else's, which is why they are showing
> hostility. They don't care!

If the end result is that my legion of 500 are able to find their way 
to LLG Loglan and that the bizarre (and in my view, disrespectful) 
statement "lojban is Loglan" is found to not be official policy of LLG, 
I am quite satisfied with the result. Stating "lojban is a Loglan" (or 
something similar) on the web page seems acceptable to the LLG 
community, or at least to those who post to the listserv. The TLI 
community can hardly object, given the use of the lojban metatag on the 
TLI web site. I believe there are important historical reasons to 
retain the name Loglan in some form or other. I would not have spent 
time posting about this otherwise. I have no interest in wasting time, 
either mine or that of others.

-Steven