Subject: RE: [lojban] brochure: aesthetics

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:56:28 -0000

Nick:
> The use of what looks to me like Optima in the 3rd edition of Loglan 1 
> (1975) might mean Optima in my booklets will hearten some as an 
> instance of Loglan continuity. I'd think that a reason against using it 
> myself :-) , but Optima *is* way classy 

It is way classy in the capitals, but sadly that is of no benefit to
Lojban, since Lojban eschews capitals and the millennia of exquisite
refinement that go with them....

I don't mean to start a flamewar, but I find it a little unhappy that
our publications elect to set Lojban text in typefaces chosen to be
as ugly as possible without being rejected outright. Choosing, say,
a garamond might go a long way to counteracting the ugliness that
many hate or delight to discern in Lojban on the page, and at the
least it would provide a strikingly contrapuntal effect...

This is absolutely not a request or suggestion for the font to change
in the book! You have done more than enough work on it & it is time
you were shot of it & able to devote yourself to more substantive
matters like the arcana of the semantics of never-used cmavo...

--And.