Subject: BPFK: Call for volunteers: corpus

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:58:20 +1100

Lojbanists,

As Language Design Commission Chair, I hereby issue a call for 
volunteers to help assemble a corpus of all texts in and about Lojban 
in existence.

This is in accordance with the plan for the compilation of the Lojban 
baseline dictionary (lojbo vlaski ca'ircukta), outlined in:

http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/Mini-dictionary
http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/Mini-dictionary%20To-do

I have provided in the 
http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/Mini-dictionary%20To-do a listing 
of all the types of text I think we need. I ask that anyone supplying 
texts describe their contributions at the Wiki 
(http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/Mini-dictionary%20To-do), so we 
can keep track of what is there and what is not.

* The plan in the first instance is for text to be submitted to the 
Lojbanic Community Files Web 
(http://www.lojban.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Files/WebHome). If you have 
outlandishly large texts, you may choose to negotiate alternative 
arrangements with the web master.

* Any texts submitted here should be in the public domain and freely 
readable by anyone (it is an openly readable area.) If you have any 
concerns about privacy, do not submit text. Normal rules of consent 
over private correspondence apply.

* By default, text submissions should be in plain text.

* It is widely known that yahoogroups administered mailing lists are 
impossible to thread-suck. I thus recommend that people download some 
small number of messages at a time (yahoogroups will allow messages to 
be downloaded in tens), and let people know on the Wiki how much 
they've done, so that people can share the work.

* If there are lots of little files involved, please either concatenate 
them into one large text file, with suitable header information 
preserved (e.g. email headers), or submit the whole shebang as a zip 
file. the Community Files Web should not become unnavigable.

* I emphasise that this encompasses text about as well as in Lojban. 
This means that all six post-listserv mailing lists are legitimate 
targets: the Russian list, the onegroups list in 1998 that preceded 
yahoogroups, lojban, lojban-beginners, jbosnu, and jboske.

* Files already on lojban.org obviously don't need to be resubmitted.

* I am more than happy to provide further clarifications.

--
Dr Nick Nicholas, French/Italian. University of Melbourne, Australia
http://www.opoudjis.net [email-masked]
"All the nations also under his dominion were filled with joy and
inexpressible gladness at not being even for a moment deprived of the
benefits of a well ordered government."
--- Eusebius of Caesaria on the accession of Constantine I.