Subject: [lojban] Re: brochure: aesthetics

From: robin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:38:26 +0200

And Rosta wrote:
> Nick:
> 
>>The use of what looks to me like Optima in the 3rd edition of Loglan 1 
>>(1975) might mean Optima in my booklets will hearten some as an 
>>instance of Loglan continuity. I'd think that a reason against using it 
>>myself :-) , but Optima *is* way classy 
> 
> 
> It is way classy in the capitals, but sadly that is of no benefit to
> Lojban, since Lojban eschews capitals and the millennia of exquisite
> refinement that go with them....
> 
> I don't mean to start a flamewar, but I find it a little unhappy that
> our publications elect to set Lojban text in typefaces chosen to be
> as ugly as possible without being rejected outright. Choosing, say,
> a garamond might go a long way to counteracting the ugliness that
> many hate or delight to discern in Lojban on the page, and at the
> least it would provide a strikingly contrapuntal effect...
> 
> This is absolutely not a request or suggestion for the font to change
> in the book! You have done more than enough work on it & it is time
> you were shot of it & able to devote yourself to more substantive
> matters like the arcana of the semantics of never-used cmavo...

.u'i

Garamnd might be nice. So would palatino. One consideration for font 
choice is that the fonts should ideally be available as both TTF and 
Type1, for compatibility reasons.

robin.tr

-- 
"You almost never hear that word "computer" anymore, do you?
They're part of everything now. They used to be boxes with
keyboards, you know." - Tad Williams

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara
Turkey

http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin