Subject: Brochure Aesthetics cont.

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:59:15 +1100

Well, I know both John and And want serifed lojban, but I have to 
admit, I've grown attached to the kind of look represented by CLL 
(which I would characterise as 'monospacish', and 'sans-serifish'.)

Trebuchet makes much more of a statement that Andale Mono, but it's 
funky and distinctive. I think I'll exercise my prerogative and stick 
with it.
:-) I don't in principle object to a conventional serifed Lojban font, 
but the catch is finding someone truly distinctive from body text 
(Times, maybe Palatino) yet harmonious with it. (And of course, CLL 
biasses me.) But I will put a sampler up: 
http://www.opoudjis.net/dist/sampler.pdf . The only viable serifed 
alternative I see is Didot; and since I hate Computer Modern and its 
works, I'd rather not go there anyway... Garamond is not really 
immediately distinct from Times in full width, and is weird IMO in 
narrow.

I was considering Optima for the notes/exercises text, not for Lojban 
text. I don't think its lowercase is particularly evil at all, but I 
would hesitate to use it for lojban: no distinctive serifs. (But oh, 
it's such a lovely font...)

Mixing a monospacish and a proportional font in running text is 
disconcerting; but I really would rather lojban text embedded in 
English text be in a distinct font. I think we do need the cue, and we 
shouldn't be overloading Times italic (which already has plenty to do.) 
In fact, that's why I also use italic Trebuchet, for lojban Grammatical 
terminology (e.g. "the cmavo ka'e" --- "the" Times Roman, "cmavo" 
Trebuchet Italic, "ka'e" Trebuchet Roman."

The fonts are all either freeware or came with my operating systems 
(which I assume makes them free game.) They're also all TrueType, since 
Postscript fonts aren't plentiful any more. If this becomes an issue 
with POD (I haven't checked recently), I may need to talk to Bob about 
his store of fonts; I don't want to do so right now, though.

--
Dr Nick Nicholas, French & Italian, Uni. Melb. 
[email-masked]
http://www.opoudjis.net
"Must I, then, be the only one to be beheaded now?" "Why, did you want
everybody to be beheaded for your consolation?" Epictetus, Discourses 
1.1.