Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: tags

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:50:16 -0500

>> >"lobykai" is toljbo.
>>
>> In what way? It is formed from 'lojbo ckaji' (Lojban quality), so the
>> expected meaning is "having the properties associated with being
Lojbanic"
>> or similar. Since usage is supposed to determine the exact meaning of
lujvo,
>> whatever usage decides "lobykai" means is the correct meaning, but it
should
>> have some connection with the parent tanru. Usage has decided that
"lobykai"
>> refers to possessing the essence of lojbanic style and simplicity - so it
>> does. What could be more lojbanic than a lujvo acquiring a meaning
exactly
>> as the Woldy says they should, through usage?
>>

>I'll discuss this on the list if you want, but I don't feel like
>arguing it privately. It (that "lobykai" is braindead because
>"lojbo" already means it) is mentioned on the wiki anyway.

>(feel free to reply this to the list if you want to discuss it
>there).

I'm sorry, I thought I had sent it to the list. My bad.

Anyway, "lojbo" has a fixed, baselined meaning: 'x1 reflects Lojbanic
culture/language in manner x2' or some such.
"lobykai" is a lujvo, so its meaning is what the community makes it. The
community has made it a subset of lojbo, but the use of lobykai is rather
more specific; it reflects a sense of elegance about the way something is
expressed, often by cutting out unnecessary locutions from the literal
translation of an English text.

If lobykai were the same as lojbo, then 'kai' would be meaningless.