Subject: [lojban] Re: bridling hostility (was: RE: Re: the ethics of the

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:07:17 -0500 (EST)

Robin Turner scripsit:

> So, my two pennorth. Lojban is lojban is lojban. This means that if we 
> translate {la lojban.} into English, it should come out as "Lojban" and 
> not "Loglan" or "Volapük".

Indeed. When a history of Germany written in German is translated into
French, it should not become a history of France.

> However, we are justified in describing 
> Lojban as a variety, realisation or development of Loglan, and if that 
> arouses the curiosity of Loglanists, that's fine, but it will mean 
> nothing to the rest of the world who don't know what either Loglan or 
> Lojban are.

Furthermore, it is justified to say "la loglan. lojbo bangu".

-- 
With techies, I've generally found John Cowan
If your arguments lose the first round http://www.reutershealth.com
Make it rhyme, make it scan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Then you generally can [email-masked]
Make the same stupid point seem profound! --Jonathan Robie