Subject: Re: [lojban] BPFK: Call for volunteers: discussion board setup

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 08:34:26 -0500

At 05:27 PM 12/22/02 +1100, Nick Nicholas wrote:
>Since we cannot wait for the Elephant, and we need a more general
>solution anyway, I call on people with savvy about discussion fora to
>find out which discussion board software fulfils the following
>criteria, and can be set up on lojban.org to host threaded discussions.
>This will in the short term solve the jboske problem (well, a jboske
>problem), in the medium term serve as discussion infrastructure for the
>BPFK, and in the long term help whenever all discussion on Lojban
>matters blows up.
>
>The main concern is that threads going at the same time and in
>different directions do not allow people to follow who said what where,
>and what is currently debated. The solution is to be able to browse one
>thread on one page. I believe discussion fora are the answer. I have
>some specific requirements I think we need for such software:
>
>All the content on one topic is in the one place, and is threaded.
>
>Preferably there is some hierarchical structure of topics (so there are
>subtopics and trees)
>
>There is some way to flag posts as being of particular kinds (proposed
>solutions, chat, whatever)
>
>There is some way of extracting the text of discussion into an archive
>readily.
>
>New posts to the board can be forwarded to a mailing list.

Call me ignorant, but most of those things seem to be not-unlike Usenet 
(though the flagging is lacking). What would be involved in appropriating 
and setting up a local "loj" hierarchy, and would it solve anything (other 
than being VERY cheap, and supported by newsreaders, which are far more 
text-friendly than browsers designed to support graphics and designer fonts)?

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org