Subject: [lojban] Re: BPFK: Call for volunteers: discussion

From: "Newton, Philip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:38:24 +0100

la nitcion. cu cusku di'e
> cu'u la lojbab.
> > Call me ignorant
> Done. :-)

Thanks. I'll take that to include me, though I posted before I read lojbab's
message.

> The entire point of this request is that we have permanent, easily 
> browsable, pre-threaded archives of hard to follow discussion, 
> containing hyperlinks and whatever else.

I think that's what Usenet can provide. Permant, yes; easily browsable, yes
(IMO) -- pick your favourite threaded newsreader; pre-threaded -- I'd say
nowadays threading works, oh, 98% of the time; containing hyperlinks --
depends on the newsreader (mine makes hyperlinks clickable).

> Usenet [...] certainly won't allow the kind of control I
> envisage (this needs to be housed at lojban,org.) 

Um, you can have a Usenet server housed at lojban.org.

There's no need to conduct this over the "big" Usenet -- there are
organisations running internal Usenet servers that don't peer with anyone
else. The groups can be completely separate. Whoever administers the news
server has complete control and can add or delete or even modify messages at
will.

People would just have to configure their newsreader to pull news from
nntp.lojban.org or whatever you want to call it -- even www.lojban.org would
work in a pinch since the NNTP port is different from the HTTP one.

(You can't prevent anyone from re-injecting the articles to other news
servers, as happens for example with the microsoft.* hierarchy which is
theoretically available only from Microsoft news servers but _de facto_
available at least read-only from lots of servers world-wide. But I doubt
that would happen or that it would be a cause for concern; the Lojban
community is much smaller than the Microsoft-using community.)

mu'omi'e filip.
[email copies appreciated, since I read the digest]
{ko fukpi mrilu fi mi ki'u le du'u mi te mrilu le notseljmaji}
-- 
filip.niutyn. <[email-masked]>
All opinions are my own, not my employer's.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.