Subject: [lojban] Re: I am the man who wrote you a letter

From: Jordan DeLong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:04:17 -0600

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 04:38:59PM -0000, Philip Newton <[email-masked]> wrote:
> How to say something like "I am the man who wrote you a letter"?
> 
> Specifically, I'm having trouble with "I am the man who...". {mi
> nanmu} means for me "I am *a* man", and anyway, I don't think I can
> attach a {poi}-phrase to that. And {mi du le nanmu poi pu te xatra
> do} sounds malglico to me.

A poi phrase type thing at the bridi level would just be done with
gi'e. mi nanmu gi'e te xatra do. But I agree it's not quite it.

> I think the problem I have is the verb "to be", which doesn't have a
> 1:1 correspondence in Lojban.
[...]

mi kau te xatra do
mi me le nanmu noi te xatra do

I think the last is best. I'm not sure if the first works, but it
seems to be compatible with CLL. If it isn't, you could always say
"mi cusku lesedu'u mi kau te xatra do" without doubt of it being
legal use of kau.

-- 
Jordan DeLong - [email-masked]
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u
sei la mark. tuen. cusku