Subject: [lojban] Re: I am the man who wrote you a letter

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:22:07 +0200

Newton, Philip wrote:

> 
> Is it possible to put a {pu} in there, like {mi du le pu te xatra be do}?
> 
> 
> What about indefinite references, though? That is, "I am *a* man who wrote a
> letter to you?
> 
> If the sex is not important, only the letter-writing, then {mi pu te xatra
> be do} works, but if you want to include "man" then you have to bring the
> {poi}-ness in somehow. And then {mi du lo nanmu poi pu te xatra be do}
> sounds wrong again -- and {mi nanmu gi'e pu te xatra be do} sounds more like
> a {noi} connection than a {poi} one to me. Maybe {mi du pa le ro nanmu poi
> pu te xatra be do} or something? Not sure whether {du} is correct in such a
> case, since I'm not thinking of one letter-writing man in particular, only
> stating that I am one such.
>

I'd say it was logically the same as {mi nanmu gi'e pu te xatra be do} - 
"I am a man and I wrote a letter to you."

mu'o mi'e solri.

-- 
"Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. And have fun 
doing it."
- Linus Torvalds

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University
Ankara 06533
Turkey

www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin