Subject: Re: [lojban] Can a fu'ivla begin with five or more consonants?

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 14:36:38 +0000

la pier cusku di'e

>The Book states that a brivla cannot begin with more than two consonants or
>have a cluster of more than three consonants. The latter does not apply to
>fu'ivla, so I am wondering about the former as well. It is possible to make
>arbitrarily long strings of consonants consisting entirely of initial pairs
>by repeating "stct" or "zdjd". It is also possible to make a string of five
>consonants all of whose pairs are initial, so I came up with a pair of
>strings. Is {stcmlatu} a word, or is {lestcmlatu} a word?

I have always assumed {stcmlatu} would be the word.

This wiki page:
http://www.lojban.org/wiki/index.php/Positive%20characterization%20of%20fu%27ivla%20space

gives as a condition for fu'ivla that the forms should "have no four
consonants in a row, none of which is syllabic". Does that come
from CLL? That would block things like "stct" and "zdjd", if it is
an actual rule.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8 is here: Try it free* for 2 months 
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup