Subject: [lojban] Re: open and save

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:05:40 -0800

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 11:57:21AM -0600, Steven Belknap wrote:
> The use of the lojban word <dacru> for a computer file is not
> malglico. The analogy of computer file to a paper file is a
> language-independent extension of the concept of file to cyberspace.

That is *such* incredible crap. There are hundreds of languages that
don't even have the *concept* of a file folder.

And dacru isn't a file in that sense anyways, it's a drawer. A
*physical* drawer. A *sliding* *compartment*, for crying out loud.

> <vreji> is not an apt lojban word for file. A file *contains* records.

Umm, BS. Unless you're defining record as an ASCII character or
something, I assure you, the vast majority of my files do not, in fact,
contain records. They are records (i.e. permanent-ish storage) of data.

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ *** I'm a *male* Robin.
.i le pamoi velru'e zo'u jmaji le plibu taxfu
.i le remoi velru'e zo'u mo .i le cimoi velru'e zo'u ba'e prali .uisai
http://www.lojban.org/ *** to sa'a cu'u lei pibyta'u cridrnoma toi